Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Stuck in a snow storm

We were sent home around noon because of the nasty weather. Since DH and I carpool, Ashley gave me a ride home. Ashley usually goes via Grand Avenue, then Hunt Club Road but this time, I asked her to go via Washington Road then Hunt Club. The distance is shorter. I didn't know it was Ashley's first drive in a snow storm. She's from Southern Mississippi. While in the parking lot I helped brush off the snow from my side of her truck/van. OK.. I found a spatula [one that you fry eggs with!] in the front seat. I used that one, thinking that Ashley is on the other side comfortably using her snow brush. I went around to the front brushing mirrors and the car lights [people always forget to brush off the snow from their brake lights and front lights!!] . Then I saw Ashley brushing the snow with a.... coca cola bottle???! We weren't even halfway done on the windshield when she jumped into the truck and said, "Let's go!" She turned on the ignition and turned the big wipers on. With a few swoops, the snow was gone. The streets were not plowed yet. Just like this one in front of our house. How could one plow if the snow keeps coming?



Traffic was slow on Washington Road because of thick snow on the roads and poor visibility. Ashley had to step on her brakes more often than usual and every time she did, the snow from the roof slid down the windshield. [I knew this would happen.] But never fear! her big brute wipers brushed them off. But there was just too much snow that soon the wipers were buried. Now I couldn't see a thing. Ashley had a small hole-of-a-window where all she could see were the tire tracks made by cars in front of us. I told her to stop the truck and I'll go out and brush the snow off the windshield. All was well until snow came tumbling down again. Ashley and I jumped out of the truck, armed with a coke bottle and a spatula, we scopped as much snow as we could. OK now, I said truck. This is one of those vans that don't look like a family van but a truck! Oh, did I mention that Ashley and I are barely 5'1" tall? We could hardly reach the windshield, hahaha! Now we've caused a traffic jam on our side of the road and on the other side people were gawking! Did they want to know who the crazy little people were? We laughed all the way about this experience I complete forgot my fear that it's her first snow storm!

Anyway, we got home and as soon as I saw how thick the snow is leading to our driveway, I asked Ashley to not bring it in as she might get stuck. It looks like the plow went through our subdivision and pushed all the snow to the side thus blocking every parking entrance along the way!

That's DH stuck in the driveway. I planned to call & warn him about it but forgot when I got in from the cold. Half of the Toy truck is sticking out into the road so he really had to get it out of there right away!


That car facing the main road [behind my husband's] got stuck right there. When Ashley and I got home a sedan got stuck in the same place. The owner approached me to ask if I could get in his car, drive it, while he pushes. OK... weird...I think I've watched too many CSI episodes. I'd like to be a good samaritan but...too many what-ifs. I asked Ashley to stay until I got this guy's car out into the main road. Hah! easier said than done. It took us 45 minutes getting him out of there. I left the door open, I floored the accelerator, the guy pushed, we rocked, hahaha! I was also conscious about cars on the main road, when I saw on-coming cars I would yell, "Cars...! Cars...!" and put the car on park. I didn't think the guy liked that because the more the car got stuck. But I was afraid the car would fly out of there straight across the main road. Uh, ok, guy, I value my life and those of others and I don't know you. 2 guys with their plow passed by and helped push. So now there were 3 guys and Ashley pushing. It worked, so here I was driving the guy's car with the door open, into the main road and kept driving slowly until I thought the snow on that part of the road is not too thick. Unknowingly, the guy was running after me yelling, "Miss you can stop now, miss you can stop now!" Haha- did he think I was going to run off with his car? Well.. I did think for a fleeting second that he'd grab his gun and take off with me when he asked me to drive his car while he pushed! Anyhooo.... I felt like a hero today! Thanks to Ashley too! [She made it home safe, by the way!]

So here's hubby with his snow plow making way for the Toy truck to get it out of the street and into the driveway, at least. It's a slow process. Well, at least, he got a chance to use his brand new hood with a clear plastic shield. He said it will keep the snow off his face and his eye glasses won't fog up.


So I called DD and we dressed up and helped plow. DH got to be a hero today, too! He helped push 2 cars who got stuck in the same place where the sedan got stuck.



It's the the kind of day that is not too cold you can bear to be out there for hours and the kind of snow that's soft and fluffy you can build snowmen and make snow angels. But we didn't have time for that.
DD got sick the following day :(


1 comment:

emotera said...

that snow must be irritating...