Monday, April 30, 2007

Junior Prom

When I had my Junior prom YEARS ago I didn't wear a gown. It was supposed to be a mini-dress but the older maids wouldn't hear about it! it was a sleeveless, turtle neck, "tent" dress with paisley design [which was then called "psychedelic" design]. Oh, yeah... that just tells you my age. That was the period of the hippies and I'm quick to tell you, I wasn't one.

The prom started at 3pm. The endless summer sun was still bright and hot as ever. I didn't have a limousine to pick me up, nor a date who brought me a corsage ...I crossed the street, walked up the hill and there it was, the high school building, just across the street from our house. I was there at 2pm to help with the finishing touches. I wasn't there 30 minutes when one of my friends sounded the alarm...well, it was just her big booming voice, "Marissa....your grandma is here and she's headed towards the PA system." Arrrggghhhhh!!!!! I had to run up the steps to meet her, just in time for me to be between her and the microphone. She was about to make an announcement, she said, that it is time for me to go home.

If it were today's generation, they would have died of embarrassment! They would have probably sued their grandma! or would have run away from home never to be seen in school again! You would be reading about it all over the Teen Magazines, under the title: My Most Embarassing Moment.

So I went home with her and when she was content I was going to be home for the rest of the afternoon, she busied herself preparing dinner. That's when I went to my father for the rescue. I told him that no matter what happens, not to let grandma out of the gate! If he has to tie her down to her rocking chair he has to do it. For my sanity. Puhleezzz!!!

This picture was taken weeks after the prom. THAT is my prom dress. And the baby doll is my sister Lee.
Thank you, Lee for keeping a copy of this picture!

3 comments:

Lee i. said...

Ohmigosh!!! Flashback, and not because of the picture. I think I remember Daddy doing the same to me. Fetch me at a school party. Although in our time, we had the parties at more decent hours when the sun has set. Hahaha. That's my ninang Gading on carrying me.

abieco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
abieco said...

that picture is so cool! i guess that dress is more comfortable than any gown.

the story about your grandma is hilarious!